They were playing J. Lo’s greatest hits CD in the grocery store today. I love this country. I also love going grocery shopping here because everything is so cheap and I feel like a true “resident” doing errands that real Spanish people to instead of just wearing Uggs, going into souvenir shops and getting tall chai lattes from Starbucks, which, unfortunately, I do more frequently. I bought green apples, butter for my chocolate chip cookies today, and a loaf of bread for the family. The supermarket also has a large meat department, in which giant pig legs are hanging from the ceiling, and a fish display with fish heads organized in an ornate design. The milk is all ultra-high-pasturized, which means it is not refrigerated, there are more kinds of marmalade than there are fruits, and there is cream cheese, although no one here has even seen or heard of a bagel (except in a few select Starbucks).
Anyway, my host mom gave me money for the bread, but I gave it back to her and said “it’s on me.” They acted like I had just taken the bill at Ruth's Chris Steak House (a loaf of sandwich bread costs $0.60). I was just like “Instead of me taking the money, let me make an extra sandwich sometime.” They laughed and said “thank you” but in all seriousness, the $0.60 was definitely worth the liberty of making myself a sandwich at the time of my choice.
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

ISA! It's so great to hear from you! Haha.. I think that is a cute new name! All of your stories are great! Sorry to hear you got sick! Thank gosh you are feeling better!
ReplyDeleteNice to hear you are learning from your host family and you are teaching them from your desserts! One of my personal favorites of yours is your 7 layer bars - I'm sure they would love them too!!
I can't believe you come home in 3 weeks! Enjoy every moment!
Adios!
might I recommend you make some rocky road fudge...it would really impress the host family....they make it a lot in my country Ukraine
ReplyDeleteLIZ! I have to admit, I've been secretly stalking you through your blog. I'm LOVING hearing your great experiences in Sevilla, Espana. It brings me back to some great memories I have from studying abroad. I'm so glad you have a wonderful family and you're there with a great group. ENJOY every minute!! miss you xoxoxo Caroline aka Chocolate Moose
ReplyDeleteI would just drop out of school and bum around Europe until you are deported...or at least run out of money. You don't really have THAT much going for you back home. Ahh, just kidding. Fun, Fun, Fun until the paella gets cold.
ReplyDelete